Are you looking for an Administration job in Melbourne? If you are in the middle of a job search you will know that there are a lot of companies looking for Receptionists, Personal Assistants, Administration Officers, Legal Secretaries, etc. That’s really good news! However, it does also mean that a lot of candidates will be applying for the same jobs, which means competition.
How to stand out from the crowd?
Having an outstanding resume is the best possible reflection you can offer a recruiter. It’s so important for you as a candidate to make your resume stand out. Be sure to include:
- A strong opening statement or summary – What makes you unique? What can you offer an organization that someone else can’t?
- List your key achievements – Perhaps you successfully handled all administrative functions when a new company was starting up. Noting this will make an impression far better than just basic work history. If you have done something impressive why not show it off?
- Add ‘keywords’ – Many Recruitment Consultants and companies scan resumes for specific words and phrases. Try to use some of the language that is in the job ad, as long as it accurately reflects your background. For example, if a Recruitment Consultant or employer is looking for someone who has excellent customer service experience or switchboard operation experience be sure to note this in your resume
- Note down any program proficiencies – by listing you have previous experience with a program or software such as MYOB or Microsoft Suite, gives you an edge on your resume. The more skills you have to offer the more appealing your application will be
As a job seeker, you can’t afford to ignore the digital extension of your professional self. Prospective employers, recruiters, and companies will most often than not search for you online. If you have a LinkedIn profile, it’s very likely to be the first result they find. If you have an account take some time to freshen it up, if you don’t have one, we strongly recommend you set on up!
Always Remember To Prepare!
There are so many things to prepare for its easy to get overwhelmed. Remember to keep in mind the following:
- Look the part – personal presentation is very important. If you’re attending a job interview for an administration position, you wouldn’t dress as if you’re going to the gym or for a night out. This may seem obvious, but you would be surprised!
- Research the company – know who you are applying to so that you can tailor your resume and be a step ahead if you are invited for an interview
- Stay organised – if you are in the process of job-seeking you will, of course, be applying for more than one position. By keeping a note of who you have applied with will help you when you receive a call to discuss your application. You can also prepare answers for interview questions and relaxing techniques for nerves during interviews
Administration jobs are a part of almost all types of industries. If you’re unsure of what business you’d like to work for take some time to research where the industry demand is, if there is an area that you have an interest in, etc. It is also important to know ‘your worth’ so that if the salary is discussed you know what your expectations are. Researching the salary expectation for your industry will provide you with a general guide of what to expect. If you’re bringing a truckload of experience to the table don’t be shy to ask for a fair amount.
As a generalist recruitment agency, we have experience across the board! Head to our ‘jobs board’ to find your next career opportunity. While you’re there pay our ‘job seeker help centre’ a visit for some more advice and tips. We also connect to job seekers and clients via our ‘Facebook page’ so head over and give us a like to keep in touch with the most current job opportunities available in Melbourne.
Another great thing about The Recruitment Alternative is that we operate Australia wide. So not only in Melbourne but Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, etc. We can offer you affordable recruitment solutions at a low-cost price point that makes sense. If you would like to find out more about our services contact us today on 1300 548 546.