LinkedIn is a very popular professional networking platform, where job seekers and employers can connect. As a job seeker, it can be tough to find a job on your own. Creating a LinkedIn profile gives you an advantage, especially against candidates who do not have an account.
What can you do to improve your profile?
Some employers look up their potential employees online, so why not have a professional profile for them to view? LinkedIn is basically an online extension of your resume. You can build your profile to be a positive reflection of your skills and experience you can offer a new organisation. Especially if you are applying for Marketing, Social Media or other such positions that would utilize online tools such as LinkedIn. Here are some tips on how to fine tune your LinkedIn profile:
- Professional Profile Picture – Don’t have a party shot or a blurry selfie, ensure you display a clear, current and well-presented image of just you.
- Updated Information – If you’re going to have a LinkedIn profile be sure to keep in current. If an employer is comparing your resume to your profile and notices discrepancies it’s not a good look as a future employee.
- Positive Endorsements – On LinkedIn other professionals can ‘endorse’ your skills and leave feedback on their experiences with you. Having this positive feedback helps back up what you have listed on your resume.
- Network – Take some time to build your professional network, endorse others, leave feedback and they could return the favor. This helps support your profile and increases your exposure to potential opportunities.
- Proof Read – On a professional plat form correct grammar and formatting is highly important. Always proof read and even triple check yourself!
- Follow Positive Influencers – Following relevant influencers on LinkedIn helps to put a range of interesting content in your feed, which you can then share with others when you think it adds value. It also helps to give context to your LinkedIn profile, demonstrating your passion for what you do.
Always be mindful of what you post online and use social media platforms to your advantage, not your disadvantage. If you are looking for a new position The Recruitment Alternative is current recruiting across Australia and New Zealand. Click here to access our jobs board and while you’re there pay our ‘job seeker help center’ a visit for some more tips and hints.
As a generalist recruitment agency, we offer affordable recruitment solutions at a low-cost price point that makes sense. If you would like to find out more about our services contact us today on 1300 548 546.