A 2015 Intergenerational Government Report projects that the number of Australians aged 65 and over will more than double by 2055, when there will be around 40,000 people aged 100 and over. For anyone running a business, this presents both a challenge and an opportunity. Everybody wants to feel they can make a contribution of value, be involved, and earn respect, even older workers. Consider the opportunities that await them and your organisation when you give them that chance. Here are some reasons why you should consider hiring mature aged works by The Recruitment Alternative.
Benefits of Mature Aged Candidates
- They are a steady and reliable source of skilled labor
- Mature aged candidates may offer decades of relevant experience you require for the role opposed to younger candidates
- Your younger employees may be offered valuable mentoring
- They are not aggressively seeking to advance their career; they may be perfectly comfortable in the role they land for years longer than younger staff. You probably won’t have to worry about them playing political games that can spoil any office environment
- Mature aged candidate tend not to be job-hoppers – and turnover can be very expensive for any company
- They’re likely to be surprisingly technological savvy. Boomers are comfortable using computers. Where there are skill gaps, they can and are eager to learn
- An older candidates will be appreciative for an offer of employment – they know they’re fortunate to be working at their age. Consider that loyalty is a very valuable and rare commodity today
- An age-diverse workforce makes sense since older employees represent a large segment of the buying public. They may know that market better than the rest of your team.
Change Your Focus
It’s popular at the moment to focus on recruiting young, fresh talent who can add a new dimension to the workforce. Especially with the growing technology demands. However, by doing so, businesses are neglecting a wealth of professional knowledge that can only come from workers who have accrued years of expert experience. Whilst the millennial generation may hold the advantage of technological knowledge, older workers bring forth a predisposed set of skills that cannot be taught or replaced.
Age discrimination means lost opportunities
The Australian Human Rights Commission’s 2015 National Prevalence Survey of Age Discrimination in the Workplace, found that one of the biggest barriers to Australians enjoying longer and more productive working lives is age discrimination. This discrimination is widespread and affects all kinds of Australians, everywhere. As outlined above, there are many benefits to employing mature aged candidates. Don’t miss out on a potentially suitable candidate because of a stigma. Be sure to consider all the options and think outside of the square.
Our experienced staff will take a detailed job brief to ensure we find the right fit for your organisation. We recruit across Australia for roles at all levels. Accounting, Digital Marketing, Administration, Engineering and IT – just to name a few! As a generalist recruitment agency, we offer affordable recruitment solutions at a low-cost price point that makes sense. If you would like to find out more about our services contact us today on 1300 548 546.← Back to articles